Why does it take Word so long to open?
Close all instances of Word (Winword.exe). Check task manager to make sure there's none left.
- Try removing all macro files since they tend to run during file open/close and it's possible that they're causing some problem. Here's how to remove them:
- Go to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP"
- Move all files in the above mentioned directory to somewhere else. (Note: In some situations, the MSI installer re-installs these components if it sees some files are missing. In that case, uninstall the software that installed the macro file.)
- Try removing Word add-ins:
- Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\AddIns"
- Rename the key name for all 3rd party addins
- Go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins"
- Rename the key name for all 3rd party addins.